Graduate FAQ, Forms and Guides

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply for a travel award?
  •  See graduate handbook.
  • How do I get credit (units) for my work as a TA? 
  • 50% TAs may sign up for 4 units of COM 396.  Visit grad staff offices for the CRN.  Make sure to sign up for the section led by your TA Supervisor.
  • How do I sign up for an independent study (COM 299, 299D, 250A, 250B, 250C, 250D, 298 )? 
  • Visit grad staff offices for the CRN and complete this Variable Unit Course Request form when you meet with the instructor.  You must enroll in sisweb using the CRN.
  • Can my independent study count for a Graduate Seminar requirement?  
  • COM 299s are to be used in place of a seminar only when one is not available (Such as for Italian graduate seminars since there is no Italian Ph.D. program at UC Davis).  For permission, use this Graduate Student Petition form to get approval from the department faculty Graduate Adviser.
  • What form(s) of ID do I need to be hired? 
  • You need 1 document from list A or 1 document from list B and 1 document from list C (see page 9).  International Students, make sure to bring your i-20 or DS-2019 as well: I-9 Acceptable Documents.
  • Am I eligible for financial assistance for Childcare costs? 
  • See Human Resources for information on the different childcare subsidies to learn which one(s) you may qualify for.
  • What paperwork do I need to get the MA en route to the PhD?
  •  You will need to turn in two forms to Nancy before your exam: the Masters Candidacy form (Don't list all classes on the back, list only the ones that fulfill the MA degree.  If you have questions, consult Nancy) and the Graduate Program Exit Information (because you're not really exiting, just note that you are continuing on with the Ph.D. at UC Davis).

TA Teaching Guides

UC Employment Policy

Exam Procedures

Comparative Literature Administrative Documents

Orientation Resources

Graduate Studies forms

(Please route through the Comp Lit Grad Coordinator for signatures so we can keep a copy in your file.)

Graduate studies forms page