Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply for a travel award?
- See graduate handbook.
- How do I get credit (units) for my work as a TA?
- 50% TAs may sign up for 4 units of COM 396. Visit grad staff offices for the CRN. Make sure to sign up for the section led by your TA Supervisor.
- How do I sign up for an independent study (COM 299, 299D, 250A, 250B, 250C, 250D, 298 )?
- Visit grad staff offices for the CRN and complete this Variable Unit Course Request form when you meet with the instructor. You must enroll in sisweb using the CRN.
- Can my independent study count for a Graduate Seminar requirement?
- COM 299s are to be used in place of a seminar only when one is not available (Such as for Italian graduate seminars since there is no Italian Ph.D. program at UC Davis). For permission, use this Graduate Student Petition form to get approval from the department faculty Graduate Adviser.
- What form(s) of ID do I need to be hired?
- You need 1 document from list A or 1 document from list B and 1 document from list C (see page 9). International Students, make sure to bring your i-20 or DS-2019 as well: I-9 Acceptable Documents.
- Am I eligible for financial assistance for Childcare costs?
- See Human Resources for information on the different childcare subsidies to learn which one(s) you may qualify for.
- What paperwork do I need to get the MA en route to the PhD?
- You will need to turn in two forms to Nancy before your exam: the Masters Candidacy form (Don't list all classes on the back, list only the ones that fulfill the MA degree. If you have questions, consult Nancy) and the Graduate Program Exit Information (because you're not really exiting, just note that you are continuing on with the Ph.D. at UC Davis).
TA Teaching Guides
- Resources for Teaching COM 1-7 (Restricted)
- Description of TA/AI Duties for COM 1-4
- Description of TA/AI Duties for COM 5-7
- Description of TA/AI Duties for COM 10A-10N
- Description of TA/AI/Reader Duties BLANK (for jobs not listed above)
UC Employment Policy
- Policies for hiring graduate students, including employment limits: Academic Personnel Manual Appendix II-B
- Eligibility Checklist - Must be completed prior to each quarter you are to be employed or receive a fellowship [PDF]
Comparative Literature Administrative Documents
- Comparative Literature Graduate Program By-Laws [pdf]
- Comparative Literature Graduate Program Handbook 2019 [pdf]
- Mentoring Guidelines [pdf]
- Degree Requirements (2017) - M.A. & Ph.D. [pdf]
- Degree Requirements and Degree Checklist (2011) [pdf]
- Degree Checklist for Ph.D. (& M.A. Plan II en route) 2017 [pdf]
- Variable unit course request form
- Sproul Hall Information for Grad Students
- Important Links for UC Davis Graduate Students (Sorted by category, use "ctrl F" to search by keyword)
- Computing Resources
- The Center For Educational Effectiveness (CEE) TA Orientation
- The Office of Graduate Studies Week of Welcome (WOW)
- Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) Orientation for international students
Graduate Studies forms
(Please route through the Comp Lit Grad Coordinator for signatures so we can keep a copy in your file.)